Christopher R. Kearns
Christopher R. Kearns grew up in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, just outside of Pittsburgh. He went on to Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He then attended law school in Chicago where he has resided since 1994. Chris began his legal career at a small litigation firm before moving to a large Chicago litigation firm. He began to wonder what it would be like to create a law firm where he could take his extensive background and combine it with a more personal and affordable experience for his clients.
He wanted to create a practice based on trust, honesty, fairness, teamwork, reliability, affordability, openness and accessibility. In 2012, he started his own firm, Kearns Law Firm LLC, and began his affiliation with Caputo & Popovic P.C. From 2010 to 2015, Chris was a member of the Board of Directors and acting Corporate Secretary of ECR International, Inc., an international manufacturer of HVAC products.
Throughout his career, Chris has handled a variety of matters, including: business counseling and commercial disputes, tort litigation, construction, real estate, employment, product liability, professional liability, toxic tort, premises liability, warranty disputes and insurance defense.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Lead attorney in train/bus collision involving 7 fatalities and over $55 million in claimed damages. Negotiated pre-trial settlement.
- Lead attorney in 11 multi-million dollar claims involved in the construction of a high-rise building in downtown Chicago.
- Lead attorney in traumatic brain injury case involving a motorized skateboard.
- Lead attorney in case involving an artificial Christmas tree that caught fire leading to severe burns to 5 family members in Arkansas.
- Lead attorney in electrocution death of ironworker.
- Member of trial team defending engine manufacturer in nationwide propeller guard litigation.
- Lead attorney in Breach of Warranty cases in both state and federal court.
- Litigation involving a punch press that caused a double amputation at the wrist of a 19 year old factory worker.
- Litigation involving a forklift that resulted in the amputation of a laborer's foot.
- Litigation involving partial collapse of building during construction resulting in 2 deaths. Value in excess of $20 million.
- Lead attorney in bus accident involving 15 fatalities in Arkansas.
- Lead attorney for boat manufacturers in products liability claims involving boat design, windlass systems, bilge pump design, windshield design, carbon monoxide exposure, and ignition systems.
- Member of trial team in federal court involving the failure of an artificial hip implant.
- Multiple construction catastrophic injury claims with multi-million dollar exposure.
- Negotiated dozens of settlements in excess of $1 million.
- Daily interaction with insurance industry personnel and in-house counsel regarding risk transfer, exposure and insurance coverage issues.
- Preparation of numerous cases for trial and negotiation of favorable settlements on the eve of trial.
- Commercial litigation experience involving breach of contract disputes, warranty disputes, non-compete issues, large collection matters. Also experienced in contract drafting and negotiation, business entity formation and licensing issues.
- Employment litigation experience involving wrongful termination, discrimination, EEOC claims in both federal and state court, employment handbooks, safety manuals, OSHA.
- Insurance coverage experience involving risk transfer, tenders of defense, indemnification and hold harmless clauses and additional insured status. Experience with Joint Ventures, OCIP’S and CCIP’S.