Ljubica D. Popovic
Ms. Ljubica D. Popovic, J.D., MPA, graduated Cum Laude with a bachelor’s degree in English and Political Science from the Honors Program at Loyola University, Chicago. She earned her juris doctorate from Chicago-Kent College of Law where she was the two-year recipient of the Michael J. Angerola Trial Advocacy Scholarship, Regional winner of the National Trial Competition (1997) and Semi-National Tournament of Champions Finalist (1998). Ms. Popovic also holds a Masters in Public Administration from the Illinois Institute of Technology, Stuart School of Business, with a focus on business and employment management.
Ms. Popovic began her career as an assistant State’s Attorney prosecuting misdemeanors and arguing criminal appellate cases before the Illinois Appellate Court. Ms Popovic continued her career as Staff Attorney to Justice Margaret O’Mara Frossard, First District Appellate Court assisting in drafting legal opinions on matters pending before the Appellate Court. In 2001 Ms. Popovic joined Justice Thomas R. Fitzgerald (Ret.), Illinois Supreme Court as a Law Clerk where she completed legal research and assisted in authoring opinions in criminal and civil cases pending before the Illinois Supreme Court.
Ms. Popovic is currently on staff as an adjunct professor at Chicago-Kent College of Law and Valparaiso Law School where she has taught courses on Trial Advocacy I & II, Intensive Trial Advocacy, tethered Evidence/Trial Advocacy Class, Pre-Trial Litigation Skills and Advanced Appellate Advocacy. Ms. Popovic has also taught at the undergraduate level at Purdue University Calume courses in American Government, Criminal Procedure and Law & Society.
Ms. Popovic has argued more than thirty cases as an assistant State’s Attorney before the Illinois Appellate Court and one criminal case before the Illinois Supreme Court (2010). She has also acted as assistant special counsel at the University of Chicago Medical Center in organizing and conducting a special external investigation. Ms Popovic currently focuses on transactional matters relating to residential and commercial real estate, business formation and dissolution as well as contract disputes. She teaches workshops to real estate agents on Short Sales, the new TRID rules, Foreclosure Defense, Landlord/Tenant Pitfalls and Contract Negotiation. She is a licensed Real Estate Continuing Education Instructor.
Ms. Popovic lives in Indiana with her husband and three children.
Bar & Court Admissions
Publications & Teaching
- Guest Mock Trial Judge & Evaluator at Chicago- Kent College of Law
- Guest Mock Appellate Court Judge and Evaluator at Valparaiso Law School
- Trial Advocacy I, Trial Advocacy II, & Intensive Trial Advocacy courses, Chicago-Kent College of Law (2001 to present)
- Legal Drafting, Pretrial Skills, Advanced Criminal Appellate Advocacy, Advanced Civil Advocacy at Valparaiso Law School (2006 - present)
- Seminars & Workshops to Real Estate Agents & Brokers on Short Sales, Foreclosure Defense, Negotiations, Landlord/Tenant Rights, Contracts, Property Tax Appeals, new TRID Rules, Contract Negotiation.
- Presented at Baird & Warner (Orland Park, Frankfort), Coldwell Banker (Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square, Flossmoor, Oak Lawn, Hyde Park, St Charles, Edgebrook); Keller Williams (Orland, Naperville, Barrington, Lombard); Prestige Realty, McColly Realty.
- Workshop on Pitfalls of Landlord/Tenant Rules sponsored by City Wide Title
- New TRID Rules presentation sponsored by First American Title and Baird & Warner Title.